Friday, February 24, 2006

Long Distance Relationship

People have always told me that engaging in a long distance relationship would be a bitch. Many believe that such a relationship, of being purely platonic, without any physical intimacy and sensory encounters, would fail to be completely fulfilling. And as much as I'd like to disagree, there are circumstances when I would fall into believing their words.

Any kind of relationship is difficult, since we are no longer dealing with ourselves but with the affections of another. I often argue that a long distance relationship does not differ much from typical relationships wherein the partners meet each other several hours in one day - it only deviates from that mold a bit because of the extra dimensions of distance and time schemes. Having technology allows one to extend oneself into being capable of doing physically impossible tasks. Any object used wisely to represent oneself in order to accomplish a currently unattainable task is technology.

Let me illustrate from the example my teacher gave me before: Before ladders and advancements, men need to gather fruits to survive. Without having the ability to climb trees, a man takes a stick to poke the fruit until it falls. The stick would thus represent the man, it would be an extension of his arm in order to get the fruit - the goal. Due to our human limitations, we need to utilize other objects and extend it to help ourselves.

Returning to my long distance relationship rigmarole, there are many mediums that makes it possible for communication. And yet, of course there is always a corresponding price tag to the use of technology - expenses. Aside from the bills, the sincerity of a person could not be accurately measured since his body movements cannot be fully visible to the other party. I could be reading Archie's comics while pretending to act hurt in the virtual chatline, without my correspondent suspecting my lack of attention to the conversation. I could say things which I am not sincerely honest about, with the other party having no specific evidence to point out that feature.

Now, I understand why its so difficult, but it does not weigh as heavily lest one begins to doubt the other party's sincerity. God, I need help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home