Sunday, March 26, 2006

"Art Is Choice..."

Even though its been over a day, I still couldn't get over the reply the speakers gave me to my query. There were five speakers who discussed about poetry and complexity. They mentioned that there is no such thing as a bad poem, only poorly written ones, yet a poem is still I poem.

From that arguement, I asked that since they also placed such emphasis on clarity, does the dada movement of approaching poetry be considered as poetry at all? There are in fact days when I get overwhelmed with so much randomness which feels so right within me that they don't seem to require any rearrangements, the problem is anyone who dares engage my work would fail to find any lucid interpretations as to what I am trying to communicate.

They answered my question by saying that the use of a movement or theory cannot "justify mediocrity". In fact, one of the speakers explained that if one would enter an art exhibit and find garbage bags thrown in a corner, it would easily be mistakened for trash, if not for a concept paper describing that such work is actually art. It's annoying, he commented.

Art is relative, there are no specified standards as to what art should be. I believe that the speaker should understand that in art - to each his own. You cannot please everyone. People respect his work, he should learn to respect other's works as well. Being too judgemental and closed minded is the not the way to go, especially for an artist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home