Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Question of Choice

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. After days of non-blogging, I have once again found the stress upon my fingers to type down thoughts that have burned continuously in my mind. Though some flames may have died down and others lost their lustre and perhaps even my interest due to the extreme situations that have been inflicting itself upon my existence, each equally worthy of attention, I now sit in front of this computer daring to once again give my thoughts their much deserved tangibility in the form of words running across a computer screen.
Yesterday I had the strangest urge to ride a bus home. It was something I haven't really thought of doing until I was halfway out of the school. At the same time, I also wanted to walk in Taft like I used to months ago. It would be the first time I would do so since the beginning of the term and I didn't seem prepared for such an endeavor, and yet I still proceeded in fulfilling that temptation. In the course of walking, I began to ponder upon the question of choice.
Life seems to be a perpetual chain of choices, from the most mundane steps that we take to the most outrageous risks that we consider. It felt like everything that is now, is all influenced by a choice whether we have wanted it or not. The most obvious forms of choice would often be the ones in which we are conciously aware of making such, as choice of clothes, choice of answers in a test, choice of whether or not to cut a class, on the other hand, similar choices are made in the simplest actions as walking. It is a choice as to when to stop, where to put your foot, how it is to be placed upon the pavement, etc. So many choices in such a simple task as walking, but in the course of time, once we get so used to it, we begin to forget the possibilty of choice, we forget that we are even making such a choice because of our being "used to" it. There is no such thing as impossible since one can perform a choice if only one chooses to. One cannot blame it upon his parents to constrain him from such a performance since one is given the choice whether to follow or not, whether to agree or rebel.
On second thought, we are constrained by the fact that we are in a physical realm, our bodies cannot function in the most outrageously flexible fashions. We are limited to two hands and two legs and two feet, but are we really limited to such? or do we choose to be limited to having but two hands, two legs and two feet?
On the other hand, in a paradoxial manner, we are limited by the choices made by others. We are born into this world without our consent but of our parent's, who we are not even priviledged to select. We exist in a culture that is molded by the options of earlier generations, we are born into a world dominated by rules created by the preferences of higher figures, we become victims of an environment destructed by the selfish ill-doings of other people, and freedom is but in ourselves not by what is beyond us.
And even though such is taught to us by our Philosophy teacher in our Philper class, these thoughts have failed to manifest itself as truly relevant then compared to how I perceive it at the present, for the mind can understand what is itself alone, it can digest once it acknowledges the information to be of relevance to his being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home