Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Humor Me

I went to National Book Store this evening with the intention of buying a packet of acid-free paper for the LEAP (LaSallian Enrichment Alternative Program) class tomorrow which is scrapbook making. Since I have no idea what that is, I ended up drifting through the shelves checking out the books. One book, in particular, managed to catch my attention. It is called "Gay Haiku" written by Joel Derfner. Finding it interesting, as well as expensive, I skimmed through the pages. Haikus being of three lines only, I decided to copy one in my cellular phone.

French kissing
Is not a holy, exalted art -
At least not your way.

Makes sense to me. This was copied from the forty first page of the book. Other interesting books which I found lined with this book are "Bored of the Rings" and "Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse". Although I didn't waste any time reading the back cover, its an obvious parody of the international bestsellers Lord of the Rings (by J.R.R. Tolkien) and Harry Potter (by J.K. Rowling).Other books which I found were "Stress in the Workplace and How To Cause It" by Howard Edwards and "The Best Case Scenario Handbook" by John Tierney.

At first, the satire counterparts of the original masterpieces seemed interestingly witty. Unfortunately, with further contemplation, I cannot help but consider with disgust how unimaginative and "trying hard" these folks sound to be (but who gave me the right to say such things if I haven't actually read the darn things). With so many spoofs of Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings, I just feel like saying, "Not Another Teen Movie!"

-------------------------------

Last Saturday night, I went out with my high school friends to Makati. Initially, the motive of the outing was in lieu with Boy X's kind intentions of treating us to dinner since he just celebrated his birthday earlier last week. I wore my Japanese red shirt in the large-scale public for the first time and I had to stuff tissue in my bra because of the non-padded nature of my minimize-r sports bra. Why are the most mundane things so important? Things we used to take for granted, now seem vital to existence, or perhaps to decent existence.

When I was in fifth grade and had to endure the itchy first time bra-wearing experience, I can't help but count how many more years I have to sacrifice before my breasts would again be liberated from the support of the undergarment. Now that I've grown older, not only perhaps because of being used to the garment, I cannot imagine not wearing one ever again. Having your nipples bulk through one's shirt seems to be such a big no-no, although when you think about it, what difference would it make; especially with the consideration that everybody has nipples. It's like having a bellybutton, why are people so particular with the middle torso, how different could it possibly be from the face which everybody has?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home