Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Parent-Child Gap Explained..?

I have often pondered why so many parents do not seem to understand the situations their children are in. We, youngsters, after being turned down so many times would often be mumbling to our parents, "Parang di ka naging bata.. (It is as if you were never young..)"

I had tried to take some time to reflect why situations seem to become exceedingly different to our parents when our parents became parents. I would like to believe that in their own minds, they have desired to be wonderful, caring people who are capable of providing all their family's needs and wants, as well as being able to raise good, well mannered and discipled children who will be distinguished and acknowledged favorably by the society. They have also perhaps dremt in their youth of avoiding the harshness their parents have treated them, to give their children some space perhaps to grow as individuals. Perhaps they thought that they have finally created an effective formula/theory that would aid them in becoming well-loved but firm parents. Why then are we, their offsprings, so hostile and rebellious to them now? Why do we complain that they don't understand? Why don't they seem to understand at all?

And I guess I ended up creating an analogy that parenthood is similar to being in and out of a love relationship.

For one who has never been in a love relationship, they can only understand it in their minds. They can create theories and beliefs which would flow entirely the way they want them to flow. But for those who are already within one, the situation would be an absolutely different paradigm and all those theories that were once made would be tested, and others might even be forgotten (intentionally and unintentionally). We cannot see our faults when we are in one, and we would at times have to rely on other's judgements to understand that we are committing exactly the same faults we vowed not to commit when we were outside the said relationship.

And thus perhaps is the situation of a parent and his child. We cannot really blame them for their fault, for forgetting what it is like to be young and carefree because maybe they didn't intend to be this way. Perhaps their only motive for doing what they do is to choose the best option that they, at that particular moment, believe to be the best alternative for their child. I don't believe any sane parent would want to cause the downfall of their child (intentionally). And thus, perhaps this answers the question why do parents have to buy all those how to parent books, because sometimes how we understand things can never be good enough, nor effective enought, or just simply be enough. There is no effective formula, there is no perfect theory, there is only love.

2 Comments:

At 3:43 AM, Blogger Ben said...

being an older brother and having said those things to and about my parents, I can also relate to how it can be easy to forget out own childhood and not give our younger family members the freedom that we formerly longed for. Recently, I suddenly find myself almost unreasonable overprotective of my sisters with regards to suitors and guy friends. Perhaps it's an automatic response planted in our subconscious that simply arises when the correct situation presents itself. I used to remember claiming that I would be liberal and let my sisters date whoever they wanted. Perhaps it seems that time flies and to me, my sisters will always be the little kids I used to play and fight with. This perpetual childhood perspective perhaps contributes to how our parents treat us. They can't seem to get over how we have grown so much in seemingly so little time.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Sometimes I feel the same way. Sometimes I get shocked at how quickly my siblings grow up. Sometimes I still treat my brothers like they're little kiddies, and I couldn't accept the idea that my brother is already old enough to go a-courting!

Sometimes I can't believe how fast and how old I am getting. My friends and I are just counting years when we are bound to get our first wedding invites.

Everything happens so fast, that we never really got to cherish the moments fully. Maybe that's why it's so difficult to let go. Maybe because in internal time, the total time spent with us by our parents is so much less that they never really got to experience us growing up..

I don't really know how to understand how our mind goes, but sometimes we just end up eating our words because situations have changed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home