Monday, November 28, 2005

Adja!

Last night I went with my dad to Roxas to attend two parties where we are to serve as proxies for my grandfather. Century Park was one of the ultimate no-no restaurants for me - I didn't like the ambiance, I don't really like the food and overall I don't like the location.. but there was hope for it yet. The room reserved for the wedding reception was superb that I kept telling my dad, "There's hope for this place yet!" The designers hung circular paper lanterns of different colors and shades around the room, the centerpieces were a beautiful variety of blooms held together by uniformed sticks (the ones that could be bought at Dapitan Market), slim bamboos were placed on the sides of the room as well as area behind the bridal table that the place looked natural and Asian. In addition, the cunning use of leaves tied the whole ambiance together with the entourage running around the room in their yellow green gowns, others with an eccentric organic twist. In short - Nothing is impossible.

By the way, the wedding invitation was divine! When I showed it to my mom though she commented that I should get myself a rich husband since I have such expensive taste! (Nuh-uh! Good taste doesn't always have to be expensive!)

--------------------

A student of my mother made an exhibit a couple of weeks earlier which showcased his many exceptional works of art. I was most impressed by his creations which includes chinese lanterns made out of recycled ampaos and other unwanted garbage (one of which won first prize).

He is handicapped according to my mother since he is slightly hard of hearing and has a somewhat slurred speech, and yet his patience and perseverance is remarkable. He invested a lot of time and money in purchasing art materials and piecing together his many praise worthy creations. His chinese calligraphy is also note worthy, painting the words with precision and grace - even being able to mimic the calligraphy of the olden times.

After the exhibit though it was said that he had to give away most of his works to his sponsors and those who made an ad of him on the chinese newspaper as a sign of gratitude and thanks and thus I fear only few of his treasured creations remained with him. My mom said that they will be making a book about him and thus to Ahya Dewey, congratulations!

I caught some of his creations from the pictures posted in his friendster account. As of now, I overheard how impressed my mom was, that she wanted to ask him to teach her the how-tos to be able to make the same works.. Art enthusiasts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home