Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Wisdom of the Company

Much could be learned from interaction with your elders. This is a truth I have gained upon my constant conversations with my grandparents, parents, aunts and their peers. Although the degree of knowledge does vary from one person to the other, their experiences do impart to me an aspect in becoming a well rounded person. My grandfather, for instance, lectures me on person-person relationships as well as business tips and trivias. My grandmother shares to me her wisdom in thriftiness, beauty and medicine. My mother critiques my poetry and artworks as well as serves as a constant guide to a disciplined morality. My father on the other hand allows me to experience the freedom of a teenager, where he teaches me the how tos in pressuring people (like the way he drives - stay in the middle if you don't want people to overtake you, stay close to the rear of the car in front to pressure him to move quicker, etc.) as well as sharing to me some of his passions as photography, books and music.

Last night, my dad and I went to Gloria Maris to attend another weddding reception. On the way, he played some of the CDs he had collected over the years. These are among the songs which I had taken interest in - they're 1980's songs though, but heck, one thing I got from my dad is the tolerance for any music genre.
(a) Fairground Amusement - Perfect
(b) Tanita Takiram - Good Tradition
(c) Art of Noise feat. Tom Jones - Kiss

We're music enthusiasts. We were also discussing about my CD reviews of his collections. I mentioned that John Lennon's girlfriend, Yoko Ono's CD was disastrous that I can't imagine how it managed to garner such respectable compliments from acclaimed mainstream artists.

His Tori Amos collection (Little Earthquakes and the other one which I don't particularly enjoy listening too) were not among his favortites although I commented that Little Earthquakes does have this dark funny excitement to it, compared to the recent Tori Amos release.

His Elvis Costello collection is remarkable although I only prefer listening to Spike, where I obsess myself with three particular songs - Miss Macbeth, Veronica and God's Comic.

I've also listened to his Janet Jackson, Madonna, Aerosmith, Queen, Diana Ross collections they're not that bad. Although I'd still go for his Gloria Estefan CDs since they have this dancing beat to them. The variety of bands and singers are so many that I end up listening to them day after day. Comments though - The Bands, Poison and Japan don't produce my kinda songs though. Hecka, my dad's CD collection could fill up a whole cabinet!

-------------------

Yesterday, I had the shock of my life. While walking through Binondo with my family, we happened to pass by one of my teachers in elementary. If my memory serves me right, I believe she was my grade two teacher in Chinese. I had made such an impression my Chinese teachers then because of my stubborness in transferring classrooms that's why perhaps she could slightly remember me. It was strange though since her first comment to me, directed actually to my mom was, "married?". And I was like.. "NO!!"

Now tell me, do I look THAT old?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home