Thursday, December 14, 2006

My Grandma and Your Grandma Sitting By The Fire

Yesterday, I accompanied Marjorie and Mark to Robinson's Place to help the previous buy a bathing suit for her out of town swimming escapade with her thesis mates tomorrow. After we have dropped her off for her Spanish lessons at the Instituto Cervantes, Mark and I had our own little chit chat until late night. It seems that in the middle of the conversation, I began to process several observations regarding our monthly night-outs together. I've been open in mentioning several circumstances where I felt compromised.

Now that one of our peers has taken up a girl friend, one who is by far the prettiest girl we've ever met or seen, I could not stress how much I am experiencing that pang of jealousy. My friends have always been a lovely bunch - most are courtable beauties who know how to carry themselves with trendy outfits and matching accessories. During our nights together, they'd be clad in hip bar clothes with their intricately painted faces, while I'd feel completely out of place in my casual jeans and sleeveless top (one which I'd often wear since I don't have much in my wardrobe). They'd be very pumped to order alcoholic drinks, sometimes take time out to smoke a cig, while I feel the need to conform despite my aversion to such habits. Now that there is a new addition to our group, I feel more threatened to be pushed as one of the plain ones and thus I feel compelled further to move into the fashionista circle - a feat I fear would somehow give rise to some identity issues.

Sigh. My friends do not force me to fit into their manner of dressing and acting but of course, by lack of fitting in, one runs the risk of being cut off from particular vitalities. As I illustrated.. since I don't drink.. would you take me as a drinking buddy? Of course not. And therefore you cut me off from any information that you'd mind sharing in the course of drunkeness. Sigh. Introverted and conventional little me.

3 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger HiveRadical said...

"And they did impart of their substance, every man according to that which he had, to the poor, and the needy, and the sick, and the afflicted; and they did not wear costly apparel, yet they were neat and comely."

--Alma 1:27

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."

--Samuel 16:7

"…And…strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies…

And all…who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments…shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;…

…And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen."

--Doctrine and Covenants 89:portions of verses 7-21

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

hey jenn, hiveradical..

thanks for the advice.. sometimes when you're surrounded by beautiful people, you just end up feeling small. being the brains in the group is not really the most flattering title when you're outing bar hopping.. but thank God they accept me for who I am, now, I just have to learn to accept myself and be happy..

hugs to both of you.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

thanks :) never really thought of doing an exercise like that.. will try it out.. thanks :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home