Friday, January 27, 2006

Let Us Learn Some Etiquette

This morning, I was brought to the office of Kagawad Andy Narciso, where I got to present the products I am selling for my Marksam. The people there were very nice to me, cracking a couple of green jokes once in a while. I hope I made a good impression on them.

Last night, my mom had just informed me how disappointed she is of one of my friends - calling her disrespectful. I cannot fully account the gravity of the situation nor the chance of my mom exaggerating the story, but this is the part which I heard from her. My friend borrowed some of the creations of my friend, Dewey for an exhibit. The first time they met (in my mom's office), she received bad remarks from my mother since she did not introduce her group to my mom, ignored Dewey's dad when he entered and left without even saying thank you or goodbye to the elders. Second story involves her returning the borrowed items by giving them to a guard. I cannot be sure of how valid this story is, but mom told me Dewey was fuming. Last straw, was when she came to fetch me at home when my mother and siblings went out of the house. She didn't bother to get out of her car and greet them, which made my mom feel insulted as well as worried at first, since they can't pinpoint who owns the car parked in front of our house.

My mother trapped me into giving her "What will you do?" solutions to some ethical situations. Example. What if you do eat in your friend's house with his parents, had a long conversation with his parents, even to the point when the parents led you out of the gate?... Answer. You call the parents once you get home to say your thanks as well as to inform them that you have already arrived safely to your destination.

Mom believes the current generation has little respect for the well defined etiquettes observed by earlier generations. Such decorum must be preserved. And thus I imprisoned myself always into wondering.. Did I, Will I do anything wrong?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home