Thursday, March 16, 2006

Those Were The Days, My Friend

Today is the last day of classes for my siblings. After today, our university (which is Trimester) will be the only institution in my knowledge, to have regular classes until April. And how I envy my little bros and sis as they'll be spending the succeeding days lazing about the house, watching television without any holding concerns or responsibilities aside from the worry that their report cards may not be uniform with just black or blue ink as they expect (*the teacher uses red ink for failed subjects).

Young carefree days. As I mature into adulthood, I am experiencing less and less of these unrestricted, unobserved, unjudged days. As I integrate myself into society, I subject myself to worry, to conformity, to decency. The small habits that are easily justified due to lack of age or experience, could no longer be ignored in my case. I am of legal age, and therefore my actions, though intended or not, would always be attributed to me. As I strive to gain further independence, equally, I gain the burden of responsibility and expectations. As we strip ourselves from childishness and ignorance, we take into ourselves the weights of the world and put into mind that we can no longer lavish ourselves with selfishness because there is a bigger picture that has to be attended to first.

Some say that ignorance is bliss, for it is innocent - as children are. While to others knowledge is power, wherein the business world demands ones who are versed with information.

As we proceed into becoming the future of our generation, we hold bigger tasks that could no longer be pointed to other people. And although I see such vivacious actions from some of my peers, I fear that I am still too raw to be ready to face the world, the society. Why is it that most of my peers seem ripe and prepared, while I, despite my efforts, could still feel my uselessness? What could I possibly offer but illegitimate criticisms and pessimistic rantings?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home