Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Classic Horror

Dracula has been called one of the most terrifying monsters in classical literature. His image haunted the minds of audiences for years, even materializing himself in the form of movies as the handsome blood thirsty count out to enslave beautiful women and drain them of their life source.

Written by Bram Stoker, Dracula has assumed three different roles in the minds of critics - as the blood-hungry devil, as man's suppressed libido (in favor for the facade of dignity and refineness), and as the corruptor of races. I've read the foreword of the enriched version of the book and was immediately excited to get on with the real text, finding much interesting symbolisms and depth based on the foreword's praise.

Unfortunately, when I began reading, I found Jonathan Harker's journal dragging and far from feasible. He writes constantly, and yet to write requires much time, which at the time of his writing were often impalapable. And yet, giving that the benefit of the doubt, his fears failed to manifest itself to me as gravely as he finds them disturbing. And yet, I persevered reading despite that torture.

When I got to Mina's correspondence with her friend, Lucy, I was further thrown into boredom as their letters were filled by useless gossips and blotted tears for unanswered suitors. I could not bear the slow unrevealing pace any longer. It was horrible. I wonder perhaps in later years, my mind may mature and I may undertake this project again, as of the moment, their shallowness is beyond my tolerance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home