Friday, March 10, 2006

University Politics

I've spent almost half the night thinking whether or not I am to exercise my student's right to vote for a specific line-up. I have realized that despite how much I would complain, we would always require leaders, and not everyone is brave enough nor competent enough to make a stand and decide to take into oneself that awesome responsibility. Another consideration that I find important is the need of the student body to find a defined voice, which could only be managed if one courageous soul would dare stand in that pedestal to represent it, understanding that this action may create positive and negative reactions that would stick to his name for the rest of his term, and perhaps even longer.

Our university has two camps of ideals - the radicals and the conventionals. These two parties have been in existence for a very long time in our university's history, each sticking firmly to their own rather extremist beliefs. The radicals propose the revisement of the ID policy, the abolishment of the dress code, the editting of the attendance regulations; the conventionals, on the other hand, propose "back to basics" platforms.

As much as I'd like to invest in either one of the two parties, I believe that I am not easily swayed to conform in such drastic sentiments. I am in favor of the changes and improvements both parties have to offer and thus I cannot completely commit myself to a singular propaganda.

I would like to complain though that I feel these candidates are merely pawns.. dispensable puppets being used by each party to uphold their goals. They come and go, and every year there are always new candidates willing to try their luck in becoming respected student leaders representing either one of the two political parties. (Rare are the strong hearted independent candidates.) These individuals will invest their time, money and effort in the service of their respective groups, which have contributed generously to aid them to get in position, and perhaps act, based on their camp ideals, and not primarily of their own free discourse or conviction.

Another factor I'd like to venture upon is their truest intents, although nobody, especially politicians, could be completely transparent. Is their innermost purpose in line with humbly and whole heartedly serving the student populace, or is it perhaps directed towards their own personal gratification and fame?

DISCLAIMER:
I am not an insider in these camps and therefore have no factual basis for the details I've just mentioned. I would just like to give light to some of my concerns regarding the politics that is happening in our university. Perhaps some may share my thoughts, perhaps I am being too prejudiced towards their genuine intentions to help, or perhaps I am saying something no one dares to admit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home