Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Vanity Has Finally Began To Kill Me

Last night, I came home around 11pm from Jourdy's house. Yes, I did try to remedy my mistake of being too proud by actually trying to follow my VP's guidelines. Needing to use ps, I asked Jourdy if I could come over to his place to do the project - unfortunately, both of us were noobies and none of us really know how to make the desired look come out - rather than the natural look, I think I've created a natural but scary one. By 10.30, I was at the verge of giving up.

I rode the jeepney home, contemplating if I really am worthy to be part of the arts and communications committee. Eversince I began joining the organization, I've always wanted to be part of that group - when I finally got in, I made obsessive researches on posters, primarily on modern ones. I've purchased books, xeroxed mechanical art books, downloaded random artistic images often.

Yesterday, I was told that I did not suit the committee by a friend trying to mean well - and it did hurt me alot. After all that effort, am I really not cut out? I guess, art in advertising is not really the form of liberation I've been seeking, since that form has to be constantly tempered with limitations - set by the "customers". I guess, I'd have to apologize for being so self-righteous in trying to rebel against the common norms. The norms will not change as of now, and perhaps the norms may eventually kick me out of all this artsy fartsy.

I would've appreciated a little positive feedbacks for at least some of my works, but apparently the negative ones are more glaring and more interesting to speak of. It's not that I can't handle criticisms, but sometimes I wish people would try to take a dose of "different perspective" time to time. I just really feel like giving up right now.

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the negative feedbacks weigh more than the positive one, you can't always please people. Sometimes being appreciated by people don't usually comes in the early stage, people do encounter a lot of stages, trials, and depression. If you give up.. then all the work you've started would be put to waste. The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as long as we live. One day, you would just look back on this time of your life as an example of being alive. When that moment comes, you'll just feel that those so called "unappreciated" thoughts would just fade away, leaving you the moment of being the only person in the world to define the word "success".

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

to jenn..
thanks so much girl. u could surely lift my spirits. sometimes i just feel so different that my ideas never really seem to fit in anywhere. i have to learn to be more flexible i guess... thanks so much...

mwahugz..

to chachoy:
success is defined in so many ways - what does success mean to you? similarly, what does learning mean? does it mean compromise, or surrender? i ask feedbacks because i got so used to my mom criticizing my worx to the point that i no longer want to show them to her anymore - but i still continue doing so, because i needed attention. i don't always expect positive feedbacks, but receiving ONLY negative feedbacks without any appreciation for the work involved or any good details included in the project does dampen one's interest in growing - in short, criticism has two faces - constructive and destructive - and it's not always depending on how you a person sees it, sometimes it's how it's executed to a person, esp. when done consistently and repetitively.

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katrina, it's okay to have negative comments. It's part of the learning process. Heck! Even I get lots of those, not only in ONE subject, but practically in every subject. Yes there really is no definition of "art" since it's a FREEDOM of expression. However, you should also remember that you are in the arts AND communication committee. How do you communicate THROUGH art the message you're trying to convey? Do you see my point? The only "norm" is the layout;trying to get all things to work together. I have this one professor who asks the purpose of EVERY single detail of one layout that I do - including the font. Bottomline is: follow the guidelines but add your own thing, you don't necessarily need to compromise your artistic abilities just because there's a proper way to do layouts. Hope you learned from what I've been blabbering about. I wish you the best of luck! :)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Communication comes in so many different forms. I was just hoping to try a different approach compared to the ones I see almost everyday posted all over the campuse. I just want to see something new. There are occasional ingenious posters though and those actually are the ones that I would stop and take time to read.

But if you're referring to my second poster.. um.. I was at a state of rebellion when I did that.. so not much of communication was really meant for that..

don't ask.

and as for that every single detail.. depends on the style actually of a person. Most art have symbols as to why a particular color or style or font. I could defend my second work on that matter more than my first one.. but fact is.. if I'm sticking to a Dadaist philosophy.. I might get kicked out by decent art institutions for even trying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home