Friday, August 18, 2006

The Cure Of My Drought?

At last, another book managed to find itself in my collection of reads. Yesterday, great luck was shining on me as a friend completed reading Marquez' Chronicles of a Death Foretold and decided to throw the book aside for it has already served its purpose for his Litera2 class. It was such a stroke of good fortune that I was at the right place at the right time to actually get to witness his distaste for the Marquez’ masterpiece and thus, got to bargain with him for the said book. I've been eyeing "Chronicles" for some time now, but was too cheapskate to actually buy it for its horrendous price in NBS. A mere 120 pages for 450pHp. Thus, when he agreed to sell it to me for just 300, I couldn't help but agree.

It was weird that on that same day, I completed perusing the book - just 2.5 hours of reading! (Perhaps this could be attributed that I was completely hooked on it; and that I get real pissed whenever my siblings would do as much as utter a word in my presence while I was concentrating) Either way, I am not at all disappointed with the transaction since the read was an entirely beautiful and enticing experience that I don't think I’d mind rereading it. It was so brilliantly conceived - how could a murder story with all the main characters and purposes so well exposed to the public be created to be still remain interesting? Truly the literature is a crafted work of a great mind. I guess, the story does not revolve around the basic outline of who killed who and why, but more importantly it is focused on the interplay of lives in order to bring forth the inevitable end of each person. In short, it's all a matter of destiny, of fate, of that unavoidable prejudiced resolution.

Similar to Oedipus' melancholic tale of controversy, where he and his father failed to escape their predestined positions - that Oedipus will eventually kill his father - despite the means implemented by the father to avoid such tragedy to transpire. It is perhaps that prophesy is both a player and spoiler for the event. Simply put, fate is inescapable and perhaps the fact of it being blurted out so unwisely may usher the destiny to actually find further fulfillment.

On a lighter note, many believe that men were created with free will - with an innate ability to choose our life paths and thus making us susceptible and responsible to whatever consequence our actions would summon. Thus in so saying, is it possible that we are already fulfilling part of our destiny by choosing and in some preternatural way, such a choice has already been chosen for us beforehand and we are just stepping into where we ought to be – like following an invisible inborn map, in blindness - believing that we are actually acting free?

Thus, the birth of philosophy?

1 Comments:

At 3:12 AM, Blogger Katrina said...

hey there jenn..

thanks!:)

iono why i dont really feel staying in the library, i just couldn't concentrate even when it's so quiet there..

haha.. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home