Saturday, January 20, 2007

I Hunger!!!

It's close to midnight and cannot articulate the growling sensation rumbling within my abdominal area. I think I am hungry again despite a good dinner and for some reason I am craving for Java rice. I can't make any especially at this time of the night since I intend to sleep in a few more minutes and eating heavy carbos will eventually take it's toll as what happened to me today described in my I Think I Misplaced My Intestines entry.

Thus in order to somehow alleviate my hunger, I will just type down my version of the simple recipe as I've evolved it into my own - although I am pretty sure other establishments may be using a similar recipe for their rice. I cannot be held responsible should we share different tastes - a warning be that my taste is often associated with "weirdness" (eq. peanut butter and ma-hu), although my mom and siblings love my whatever my Java and fried rice - that is, if I cook it. haha. Btw, Java rice is best served with barbeque dishes. Gawd, I'm hungry..

Java Rice

Ingredients:
1/4 kilo ground pork
1/3 unsalted butter
5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/3 cup catsup
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
6 cups of cooked rice
1 chopped chilli pepper (optional)
Curry powder (recommended but optional, to taste)
Crushed oregano and/or basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:
1. Melt butter in frying pan. Add the ground pork and cook until there’s no longer the pinkish color. Add the garlic.
2. In a bowl, mix sugar, soy sauce and catsup. Mix. When garlic in (1) is lightly toasted, add in the mixture.
3. Add the bell pepper, the herbs, curry powder and chili peppers (optional). Mix.
4. Wait until the mixture simmers.
5. Add rice, toss.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. More pepper for me.. wink wink.

Ideas:
Ground pork could be substituted with ground beef, which has more flavor. (I usually use the ground meat leftover from our morning tacos since they cook them with taco mix which kinda tastes pepper laden)
Beef stock could be used in cooking the rice.

*Faints in utter hunger.. Thud!!

1 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

:D sure.. wahhaa.. try it out.. its one of our faves here at home

 

Post a Comment

<< Home