Thursday, February 01, 2007

Pumper

The back of my right elbow has big ugly bruise roughly an index finger long (my index finger, that is). I've also noticed a big red blot in the middle of the bruise which I would like to believe as clotted blood. Sometimes, I come into thinking that my arm would just fall off even though I find that conclusion to be reasonably unsound.

I underwent a blood donation last Saturday for my friend's father's by pass surgery. Jourdan, Marie, Masada and Marlon were there to do the same, yet only the previous two were allowed to share their life sources. Marie was asked to lie down first, followed by Jourdan and then me. We also finished our donations in that order. Once the blood donation was complete, we were asked to rest for a few minutes before being requested to leave the room. Thus, I was the last in the room, with no entertainment or moral support. Although Masi was able to watch the nurse punch the needle into my skin, he was later asked to leave, perhaps due to sanitary purposes.

My blood was unusually giddy since upon the insertion of the needle it even jumped out onto my skin. After the donation, the "hole" was covered by a cottonball and a transparent strip of tape. Unfortunately, the tourniquet the girl made was so tight, that upon its removal, my initial reaction was to massage the area. Thankfully, my friend's father who went inside to make a little chit-chat with the laboratory supervisor noticed my cottonball to be saturated in blood and has actually dripped down to the bed sheet. Only then did I realize that by massaging the "tourniquet"ed area, I was actually pumping my blood out. The staff went ballistic and ran all around me trying to clean the bloodied area. Of course, my friends all had a good laugh over the matter and my friend's father warned me that I will be experiencing a bad bruise on the area. True enough, there it is.. and here I am worrying whether or not my arm will fall off soon.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh that's a sweet thing that you did, donating blood for a good cause (^__^) i've been wanting to donate blood myself but.. excuses.. haha~~

im so proud of u!!

poor kat.. would ice make you feel better? take a pack of frozen peas and put it on your bruise.. think most americans does that..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home