Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It's Just One of those Days

I've been tired lately. I attribute that little fact to my rather regular visits with the acupuncture doctor who seems to find pleasure in sticking those long thin needles into my fragile little face. It never really hurts when he inserts it in my scalp or in my ankles, but there's a biting pain whenever he tries to tap it in my cheeks. After every session, I attest that I do awfully tired. I've been sleeping alot lately despite the return of classes - a problem, I believe.

I find little interest in the things that interest me before. I fear that my dedication to my organization is slowly wavering - or is it because I once again feel choked by the system. I never really seem to be able to feel comfortable in the whole system of things, like some missing piece with no niche to be fitted in. I recall often my non-stop reminding to people of my enthusiasm to be part of the Arts committee; but now that I am amongst them, I find that it is just another stupid trap - that trap of "objective" creativity. The use of art to define oneself into the system, not to create, but to define and remind. I feel like copying everyone else's work - why? Because they worked the first time. And when they do try something new, it has to be acknowledged with such a celebration. People, grow up!

I guess, this is the smaller picture of the outside world I fear - risk averse, repetitious conformity and recollection of pasts because in being risk averse one can never go wrong, with conformity one can achieve unity and recollection of pasts one can never grow old. Ugh. Is this philosophy perhaps branching out from the ideal Chinese way where men get the bacon and women stay at home under the management of her terrorizing mother-in-law with no verbal or actual rights. Is this also the reason why being different was never once propagated in my high school - the "right" way and the "wrong" way and never the "let's try out and see" way? Is this how we try to build people, train them like robots capable of following orders? Why is creation such a scary thing? Oh right, sometimes we don't have control what the baby may look like - but isn't that the beauty of it?

I guess I am being mean, I just feel like a handicap in the whole system that sometimes I don't mind moving away. If I don't, I may subject myself into the box that I fear would chain me up into "sanity"(although this box is only apparent in my vision of thought), but if I do, then it would mean a great deal of loss in terms of acquaintances, friends, and experience - not to mention a flabberghasting black hole in my resume that may eat up into oblivion, the rest of my potentials. Question is, do I have potentials? or do I simply blind myself, answering my questions with the answers I desire to gain since, I cannot truly face reality. Creating my own philosophies and beliefs in order to escape the gaping stare of "hello, I'm reality!".. On second thought, the mind is a brilliant thing - capable of creating it's own paradigms - a heaven out of hell and a hell out of heaven.

Is optimism perhaps the answer? Seeing things with a half filled glass perspective? or is this optimism, the dum-dum way's of saying.. "hey, it's the way it is, deal with it! I don't want to think anymore"...

Interesting....

3 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Paulo said...

Okay, here we are :D

Anyway, the world's plunged into a state where success is everything. Even "service" is useless unless it works well - nobody praises the people who work their asses off to create a piece of art to cheer the orphan kids of a community unless it brings them food. Results matter, not the process. You may learn tons from a subject, but get a 0.0 and none of that matters.

And the world's so damn fast-paced now that we don't even have time to experiment. Because taking time off for that? Loses money, opportunities, customers. Boo to that. Wish we could change the world, but... Least we can still celebrate art by ourselves :)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Hey pau, I like your insights. i understand what you mean - sometimes the mechanical must-get-the-job-done matters because it is the practical way of doing things. I am just wondering that if we remain stucked in such a limited frame of mind, we may not be able to understand the other possibilities in order to reach the goal. This is perhaps my idealism - technology couldn't have possibility evolved into this unless there's someone willing to take the risk of trying something new (take the story of the cellphone industry for that matter). Sure it would take up research and tons of time, energy, effort and debate... but don't you think sometimes the end result may eventually actually overshadow the investment?

The 0.0 analogy you used is a very good presentation of your idea, but I refuse to believe that the grade is the only thing that would matter. That is not the measure of a good and true person. Use Einstein and Shakespear - some of the greatest minds of all time. Perhaps to multi-national companies and to our parents, our grades may be the key figures in determining our performances as effective people (but take into mind that our grades are, no matter how much our teachers would wish to deny, greatly subjective. There are matters in that particular course/subject which you pick up and may later on use to save your skin and that is what I believe to matter. Some people get a 4.0 in their cards but don't really know crap about the subject - now, which is more sad?

All I am saying perhaps is.. sometimes we just have to TRUST new things, ideas, people. Who knows they may actually have the potential of being a really good friend.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Paulo said...

Oh, I'm not saying I agree with that mindset - I'm just saying that that's what most people think. But I agree with you - the process matters just as much, if not more. A little risk can be rewarding; it's just that we're taught not to, most of the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home