Monday, December 12, 2005

Symbolically Literal

CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN:
13 days before The Night Santa Went Crazy bwahaha

-----------------------------

I have been attempting to read the books I've been engrossed with in High School, unfortunately the Sidney Sheldon hardbounds and Dean Koontz paperbacks no longer pose as much as an enjoyment as it used it. It became such light reads that I cannot draw the same excitement as I used to - feeling it shallow. Perhaps my current exposure to mature classical literary monsters could be pointed as a root cause of such a change in heart. I've found little amusement in the common words and uninspired language that transpire between characters of such fast paced novels - somehow I am craving for heavier readings with symbolisms and hidden agendas. I am seeking for books which are leaning more on the classical style of writing - elaborate details, intense expressions, weighty words all tied together in such a beautiful package with subtle hints of how each event could be given a different perspective.

-----------------------------

After reading so many books, watching so many movies in my lifetime, I am sure we've been exposed to so many symbolisms that we are acquainted what each is supposed to mean. Example - the last petals of a rose falls off/a hand falling off the bed = death of the person, a mother dropping a vase while her son is off somewhere = something happened to the son, two characters of the opposite sex meet in a room then suddenly the focus becomes the rain pattering outside or the loud pounding drums of the parade downstairs = oh, i don't think I'd have to elaborate on this. Being so constantly used, could we even consider these symbolisms as they are?

Considering such actions are already easily connected to their supposed meanings, could these symbolisms be taken "literally"? A particular number of idioms used to be events in history which supposed to bear particular meanings until used so constantly that they become everyday words. Couldn't these overused "symbolisms" be the same, that when used in a story, they could already translate to its audience literally what is transpiring without the author directly saying so nor the reader/audience to invest much thought into understanding its supposed content? Is this reflection making any sensible effect?

---------------------------------

I found this site which supplements my details about Liza Dalby and her book, Tale of Murasaki in my Shocked Culture entry. Wala lang. Random information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home