Sunday, November 05, 2006

Food Overdrive

In order to make up for the lenghty period of non-posting, I am bombarding this journal with significant events that have somewhat kept me surprised for the past week. This is perhaps my way of compensating for the many times I've turned to my sloth-ness and avoided the composition of another entry.

Last Saturday, my grandfather asked me if I was interested in joining him in one of his friend's eating affairs. One of his peers have been selected as president of a certain association and was inviting the many titled figures to his party. On the way though, my grandfather decided to do a detour in our plans. We went to the said debut, greeted his friends then quickly left with a spontaneous alibi - in order to go to the Heritage hotel for a buffet dinner. My grandfather paid for the whole dining endeavor rather than eating for free at a fancy Chinese resto. I've had a taste of a lot of drool worthy foods plus a gluttonous relationship with the dessert table. There was a sushi bar which offered a limited variety of sushi and thus lost the possibility of my return. There was also a Asian cuisine table which had roasted duck and Miso soup with noodles. Other dishes were also presented, although the titles have mostly slipped out of my mind - only my taste buds could capture a more beautiful recall. At the end of dinner, I was stuffed so full that I can't even stand up right - I guess, I pushed myself too far.. oh well, buffets are really meant for people driven to obesity.

I remember repeated calling my grandfather "angkong" even when it was not necessary. I seemed rather embarassed to be dining out with an older man. This has not been the first time I've done this - my grandfather in Canada also noticed this behavior of mine when he "dated" me to watch "The Mummy Returns" when I came to visit him years earlier. I guess it is a paranoid action to remind people that I am not a sleazy prostitute out to earn myself some socialite treatment. In the Philippines, when a brown woman dates a Caucasian, she is often easily associated with being a slut. Also, when women dress in a sleek, curvaceous manner and are dating an Asian man - they can be labelled to be a prostitute. It seems awfully judgemental and paranoid of me, but I guess I cannot break free from that sort of boxed mentality.

As it turns out, the dining experience went fine but I cannot voice it out that it was painfully awkward for me and although my grandfather offered to take me to another buffet some other time, I cannot help feeling my inner guts to decline - but instead, I agreed, "sure, why not?"

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

so glad to know that there are people who share my paranoia! :)

thanks jenn...

hugs back! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home